Tuesday 30 April 2013

This Spring We've Been ...



WATCHING...

Kate: Call the Midwife, based on the memoirs of Jennifer Worth, set in East London in the 1950s. I love the combination of Jenny Agutter, Vanessa Redgrave, Pam Ferris and Miranda Hart, and also the fact that it’s so pro-NHS; I hope Jeremy hunt watches it!

Anthony: I’ve been forced to watch Teen Mum and One Born Every Minute against my will, when I’d prefer to be watching Arnold Schwarzenegger! 

Ian: A range of arts programmes on BBC4, particularly enjoying the ones on painter’s lives.  

Pumla: Searching for inspiration, but finding it hard to settle with anything. Any recommendations for something to follow? Routine can be good for the soul!

Dev: I like to watch a lot of comedy, from South Park and Family Guy, to The Two Ronnies. I recently watched a film called Sometimes in April, a historical drama about the Rwandan Genocide of 1994, which was very affecting. The only thing I can’t stand is horror movies – my brother made me watch The Day of Reckoning, which was really scary! 

Polly: The Challenger – a one-off drama about the enquiry into the 1986 space-shuttle disaster 

Marcia: I loved watching Mr Selridge – I couldn’t get enough of it! Lots of funny moments, affairs, secrets coming to light, and a bit of the history of the time.  


READING...

Ian: Balthazar by Lawrence Durrell, the second book in the Alexandria Quartet. 

Anthony: Viktor Frankl, Man’s Search for Meaning

Kate: Dostoyevsky’s The Idiot; also enjoy my free weekly copy of Stylist on the tube, and reading the satirical articles on The Daily Mash (current favourite: ‘Spring thinks it’s too late to start now’, http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/spring-thinks-its-too-late-to-start-now-2013040564772)

Pumla: Bits of The Guardian I find on the 144 – beats the Metro!

Polly: Gardens of Stone – cracking autobiography of somebody in the French Resistance. 

Marcia: Yesterday I read an interesting article in Mature Times, which is about issues that affect older people, about health risks for over 60s, including some information about Bowel Cancer Awareness Month. As more than 8 in 10 bowel cancer cases are in people over 60. 


LISTENING TO...

Kate: Dilemma on Radio 4, a panel show chaired by Sue Perkins, discussing moral conundrums; some great music suggested on the blogs Yes Miss Fox (http://yesmissfox.wordpress.com/) and Creativise (http://creativise.wordpress.com/) – their ‘Tuesday Tunes’ and ‘Mid-week Melodies’, respectively, have been introducing me to some new favourites 

Anthony: Bollywood singing – we’ve broken the car radio and it’s stuck on a random station!

Ian: Mark Knofler & Emmy Lou Harris’ new CD

Dev: ‘80s/90s disco, classical, Indian music – all sorts! I like to mix things up and swap between genres. 

Polly: A lot of baroque! 

Marcia: ‘Adorn’ by Miguel. At first I liked it for the soul sound, and now I really like the lyrics too.  


GOING TO...

Kate: I’ve been going to yoga for about 6 months now and love it! I’ve also been for a weekend in Prague with my mum, and to the theatre loads – I’ve particularly enjoyed seeing Spymonkey’s Cooped, National Theatre’s One Man Two Guvnors, and Snuff Box Theatre’s Bitch Boxer. 

Anthony: Life-drawing classes. Lots of naked bodies, which I obviously look at in a very objective and professional way. It’s nice to keep in touch with the basics. 

Ian: Group meditation, run by the Meditation Trust, where I’ve been discussing experiences of meditation and enjoyed the opportunity to meditate together with others, which can result in a more profound experience. 

Polly: Macbeth with James Macavoy and Claire Foy, and The Trial a site-specific journey in Shoreditch by Retz Theatre Company. 
Marcia: The cinema to see Django Unchained, which was really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment